Monday, October 3, 2011

Virginia City, Montana

School started the first week of September for my brothers and sisters. 
Don't they look all fresh and ready to go?


To celebrate, my Mom and Dad whisked us away for a last hurrah vacation in the motor home!
Our final destination (that was unbenowest to all the kids but me...I love being the oldest!) 

Virginia City is a gold mining ghost town from the 1860s - 1880s. 
It has been 'frozen in time' and incredibly preserved.


One of my favorite spots was the old fashioned arcade.
They had all sorts of fun games, and I couldn't help but wonder about the joy these machines
must have provided and the stories and scenes they could tell.

My favorite machine was the weight machine which automatically told you that you weighed
 30 lbs lighter than what you really do...me and my mom both LOVED it!


Jackson got his first experience with a real, live horse!
He didn't like it. 
But he liked riding the saddle without a horse.


We also explored nearby Nevada City.
Katie loved the saloon, Hannah got cuffed up, and Ryan found a home in a coffin.
So much adventure!


We also experienced a gun demonstration. Pretty amazing at all the steps they would have to take just to load a single bullet. The bullet I am holding is similar to the type used in the civil war.



I also loved the museums which showcased a lot of old artifacts, such as these gorgeous wedding dresses, baby christening dresses, and shoes. Can you imagine wearing these?
Once again I couldn't help but wonder of the stories these clothes could tell!


I also couldn't help but take this picture of an old dental chair for Trent...


We went on the old fashioned fire truck tour of Virginia City, where we saw
 lots of sights important to the locals. Such as the 'bad guys' cemetery.

Legend is that Virginia City was such a horrible place to live there were
 100 + murders in the first year alone.
Finally, the 'good guys' had enough and formed a group called the Vigilantes.
They voluntarily kicked all of the murderers and robbers out.
If they wouldn't leave...they left via the noose.


Such is the story behind these 5 graves on top of the hill. These men were found guilty and hung one afternoon in the middle of town. The building and beam where they were hung are still standing.
Imagine the irony when the Vigilantes found out that their Sheriff was actually
the ring leader of the bad guys. He was hung too.



My favorite story was of Jacob Slade who was hung due to his drunken behavior. His wife Virginia was too late to stop the hanging, but she took his body and soaked it a bathtub full of pickle juice until the Spring when she could afford to send him on the Stage Coach to be buried in Salt Lake.

Wouldn't you just love to pickle your husband's body?

Upon further exploration of Virginia City, we found the spot where gold was originally found.
This gorgeous lake under the mountains was so picturesque...we just had to have a photo shoot!


Here are all 8 kids in my family, minus Jeffy who is on his mission in New Zealand.


As we were headed out of town, we discovered this old gold panning spot.
So of course we took some more photos.
I think these are some of my all time favorite photos of sweet Jackson Boy!




Did I mention how Jackson absolutely LOVED the motor home.
His coveted spot was on top of the step ladder. Anyone else touch that spot...bad news bears.


Jackson Boy also learned how to dunk cookies and milk and eat cereal from Grandpa.
I  just love his cheeser face in this picture.
Not sure what face my Dad was making.... :)


We had a great time in the Wild, Wild West!

4 comments:

Alli E. said...

looks awesome! I love that pic of Jackson by the truck!

Cason and Katie Jo Chambers said...

For sure your son is the most-traveled little boy I know of!! Virginia City? In Montana? Funny. Never knew it existed! That dental chair? Ewww... SO uncomfy! Sounds like a fun trip!

ConnieB said...

looks like fun! Your little guy is so cute.

Huke, Lollie, and Gracie! said...

I love it. You made me feel like I was right there along with you. Your parents and family are so fun. I love the one of you guys all on the railroad track!