Monday, February 20, 2012

My Prince Came - Our Engagement Anniversary {Revisited} !!

This is a re-post from a couple of years ago, 
but seeing as how TODAY is our FIVE YEAR Anniversary, 
I just had to re-post it. 


Five years ago, at approximately 1:56 p.m. I agreed to marry Trent  for time and all eternity!!! 


In honor of our 5-year Engagement Anniversary I thought I would share the highlights of our special day on a minute by minute basis...

1:00 pm Went to Women's Choir in the Snow Building of BYU-Idaho. Got out my music and sang my little heart out as usual. Wasn't suspecting a thing.

1:20 pm Had a good conversation with my friend Kim about Trent while we were supposed to be singing (don't tell!). She asked me if we had talked about marriage. Feeling pretty cool I said "Yeah,I'm basically expecting a proposal anyday now" little did I know.

1:30 pm Sister Ashby, our director, announced that a guy would be coming in to class and filming for a class project. He entered, and kept on pointing the camera towards me...or maybe I was excited to be on film...

1: 50 Sister Ashby announces that before devotional Sarah and Kim are going to perform a special musical number. I had no idea what was up...but I'm not one to turn down an opportunity to perform.



1:51 Sister Ashby hands us the music to "Someday my Prince Will come" and starts playing. Kim sings her part, and then it's my turn.

1:53 I am singing "Some day my prince will come" when the lights in the room go off!

1:54 Trent rushes into the room in the dark, wearing a tuxedo and holding a vase filled with 6 dozen roses!!!


1:55:14 The lights come on to reveal Trent down on one knee and he says, "Sarah, you're the girl of my dreams and I want to be with you forever...Will you marry me?"




1:55:32 I am in shock and put my hand down to accept the GORGEOUS ring.


 1:55:47 Trent says "I am not putting the ring on till you say Yes"

1:56 I say "YES!" Trent puts the ring on and we give each other a huge hug and a kiss!!!!






It was INCREDIBLE and I was completely and totally blown away. Little did I know that Trent had secretly bought the ring I had fallen in love with, and had this whole shindig planned for a couple of weeks. My Mom was even in on it...no wonder she had insisted that she give me a French Manicure the night before...

All of Trent's roomates rushed in with him and captured the moment, and the guy was really filming our engagement! Trent's roomate afterward made a beautiful DVD of the whole thing. 

After the Proposal we went to Devotional and it just so happened that Elder Robert D. Hales was speaking that day. After devo was over, he stayed on the stage to shake hands with the student body (this rarely happens, but he must have known that something special had happened that day). 

We shook his hand and said "Elder Hales, we just got engaged!!!" He was so excited for us and asked me if I called my mother. Somewhat embarassed, I told him I hadn't because it had happened 5 minutes before devotional. He then left the line of students to get his cell phone so I could call my Mom! But then Sister Hales grabbed his hand and said "Robert, she has her own cell phone." He made me promise I'd call my mom, and trust me I did!! (sorry mom). We sent him an invitation to our wedding, and he actually sent us a letter back saying how he could see the light in our eyes...we put it on display at our reception!


While some people say that a proposal should be something shared between the two of you, this was perfect for Trent and me. Proposing in front of 100 + screaming girls just added to the experience! It suited our personalities wonderful and I love sharing our story and showing off the video. It was really fun when we would tell people how we got engaged and someone would go "that was you??? I heard about that from my best friend's roomate's sister". I became known as the girl that got engaged in choir.

Afterward we got a Heart-Shaped Pizza from Craigo's (delish!) and then shared a pie that I made that day in my practical-homemaking cooking class. Side note: look at my super old fashioned cell phone. Wow. 


I love Trent so much, and everytime I look at my ring, or see the dried 6 dozen roses that I have saved and put on display I feel grateful for this day, five years ago, that he had the courage to ask me to marry him. I'm even more grateful that I said YES!!! 


I can't believe it's been 5 years. 

In honor of our anniversary, I went and got my ring cleaned.
Now I just need to file my nails and actually paint them to look nice. 
My lovely husband sent me six dozen roses...through email. I loved it. 
Heart shaped pizza did not make its way into the cards tonight, 
but the sugar cookies and taco soup were delicious. 


Funny that I spent the day shopping for 
baby clothes for our 2nd baby, instead of trying to show off 
my new bling to all of BYU-I Campus. 
But don't worry...I showed it off to everyone who would look today. 
Meaning my Mom :)

No marriage is perfect, but I am grateful for Trent and 
all that he does for me and our boys. 
I love him, and am grateful we can be together for time and all eternity!!!       

2 comments:

Jamie said...

so cute sarah! How awesome! My hubby proposed a second time (the first time was a private setting in the mountains :))and gave all 34 of my 6th graders a ring pop and they came into class and then got down on one knee and said, "Miss Ahlstrom, Will you marry him?" I definitely think sharing it with others makes it more exciting!

Jennie said...

Congratulations! ----Again and forever.